Sunday 8 September 2013

Tokyo Olympics 2020

At about 5am this morning, Japan time, the city of Tokyo was awarded the hosting rights for the Olympic Games of 2020. As you would expect the only thing that the television stations could talk about this morning was the announcement and why not. The Olympic Games is a huge event, the biggest sporting event in the world and I am wondering if I will still be here in 2020 and to accept guests from around the world who may want to stay at my place during that time. Also with the Rugby World Cup on in Japan in 2019 it looks like it is going to be a bumper six months of sport in the Japanese capital.

That's the good news but I'm staying to wonder if the Olympics in Japan is a good thing for the country and the economy as a whole. I'm not sure. I was thinking this morning that the billions of dollars that are going to be spent on this sporting event could be used more productively in the areas where the 2011 earthquake and tsunami wrecked havoc. I mean if I was living in that area and I was still homeless and my government is celebrating the fact that they are going to host a sporting event  I would start to wonder about what their priorities were. It is all very well saying that they are trying to bring happiness to the people which is noble but surely there are other ways.

Anyway, the hosting rights have been awarded to Tokyo and the Olympics will be held in the Japanese capital in July and August of 2020 and it will be one hell of a party.

From a foreigner's perspective, what will Japan and Tokyoites need to prepare for, for that time and what advice can I give them? The reason I write this is before the 2002 Football World Cup some people were almost scared that the harmony of the country would be disrupted when in fact the opposite happened. I think that that kind of feeling may happen again. So that it doesn't, what can we do? Here are five things:

1. Hotels are going to have to change their policy of charging per person. It is a real nuisance for people looking for good quality accommodation and I still don't understand how one space can suddenly become double the cost because there is another set of arms and legs in the room.

2. All the train stations in the greater Tokyo area need to have safety barriers in front of the tracks. They will be used by a great number of people who may not be familiar with this kind of public transport and the last thing the organisers want is some drunk sports fan spoiling the event by slipping on to the track in front of an approaching train.

3. Some signage needs to be better. I'm not talking about it being in English or other foreign languages because generally it is quite good in that regard. I'm talking about signs that say to go this way or that way and then when you get to a dead end or a t-juntion, there is no sign to show which way to go after that. This is generally in stations and even for long term residents like myself, it can be incredibly frustrating.

4. Businesses should not freak out about hoards of foreigners descending on them. I'm sure most businesses will welcome the new people showing up but there will be the odd one who won't like it. To these people I say smile, embrace it, most of the people coming to Tokyo want to give you their money so take it and if you don't want to take it just think that it is only for three weeks or so.

5. Have fun. Take a chance to meet people when the Olympics come to Tokyo. One of the great things about living in Tokyo for me is the chance to meet people from all over the world and for two weeks in 2020 Tokyoites will get that opportunity. Don't waste it.

Citiu, Altius, Fortius.

No comments:

Post a Comment