Wednesday 7 November 2012

10 mistakes I make everyday in my work effectiveness and how to fix them

As regular readers of my blog will know I am working in a menial job and have failed in a job that I didn't really give 100% to. Even in my job now, I don't really give 100% and even though at times I work long hours, I don't really work hard and sometimes that is frustrating.

What are 10 mistakes that I make on a daily basis and how can I fix them? Lets have a look.

1. They say if you fail to plan then you plan to fail. I am not a great planner, in fact I can say that I am a lousy planner. Even today I had a whole lot of things to do at my work and went from task to task with no structure in my work and in the end I just had to sit down for five minutes and think about what I had to do, prioritize them and get started on the most important thing on the list. I think I have talked before about the difference between urgent and important. Urgent things are going to make you feel good while important things are going to get you somewhere.

2. I think from the moment I get up, and this can take a while I have no drive. I mope around thinking that I should get going because I am going to be late for work. I know that if I wake up earlier and do my novel writing or do some reading or even write this blog post then I start the day on a good note. I get some momentum going and if I finish a task successfully then I'm looking to start something else. All of my life I have decided that staying in bed is the better option. Maybe that attitude is why I am where I am.

3. Yesterday in my blog post I talked about procrastination and this is what hinders my work effectiveness. If I follow the suggestions in this blog then I should be on the way up.

4. I have a tendency and this is been with me all of my life, I tend to find the most difficult ways of doing things. Also I don't think big picture and will spend a large amount of time doing things that are not very important and should only take a few minutes anyway. I noticed that last week. I was working with a particular guy and he would be doing three things at once and I would do my one thing and of course his way was much more effective. This comes back to I should have just thought about it and it would have cut off a lot of time.

5. I don't do the hard things. I shy away from it. In financial planning I didn't do the cold calling. In my current job, if we have something heavy to be moved I am nowhere to be found. I run away. I think I have written before that I am better if I run towards my problems, to embrace them, to say that I want to have them in my life to help my grow and in the same way if there is something difficult to then my hand will be up, volunteering to do the job.

6. People consider myself as being quite punctual. I will get to a meeting with lots of time to spare. But when it comes to getting up and going to work I am always exactly on time or even a couple of minutes past the time I should be. Only on precious few occasions do I actually get to work super early and prepare thoroughly.How can I fix this? Set my clocks forward 15 minutes? Think about the fun that I will have when I get there?

7. I don't use my intuition at work. Especially at the job I am at now I have to find out whether or not it is OK from a superior before doing it. On the occasions that I do something, the bosses usually back my work anyway, so what am I scared of? I know this isn't really good advice but what is wrong for just going for it. Throwing caution to the wind. Sure I am going to make mistakes but in all reality I am going to get results rather than playing it safe.

8. I don't work at a good pace. The Japanese have borrowed a saying from English and it is "my pace." That is certainly me. I do everything at a sedate pace. Some people at work have asked me if I am ever busy because they think that I never look it. Brian Tracy talks about trying to improve 0.1% everyday. What if I work at a pace 0.1% faster than the day before? After 100 days of work I would be working 10% faster. That is doable.

9. They say that work is work and it shouldn't be a place to socialize but you do spend a third of your life with these people so it would be better if you get to know your colleagues so then if you do have lunch with them you have something to talk about. I tried to talk to them today but one said that i am too brainy for them. Obviously I wasn't reading the situation very well and should provide more appropriate topics for discussion.

10. I think this is so important that I will write it again, my planning is terrible. Just take five minutes to plan and the whole day will be more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment