Saturday 29 September 2012

10 things to do rather than update your Facebook status

Do you know what I did before I started writing today's blog post? Yes, you are correct. Give him a prize. Yes, I checked my Facebook account. I like to see what my friends are up to and also sometimes they post an article which can be quite interesting. Also during the aftermath of the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, Mark Zuckerberg really earned his billions as Facebook was a real comfort for people as they were able to exchange information and keep in touch with people and family around the world.

I was interested to read this article about why being unfriended on Facebook hurts. I must admit that when I notice my friend numbers go down and wonder who that was, I undertake a thorough investigation. In the end it is usually someone who I have never met or who I have met once and said hello to and they mustn't of liked my accent or something. Actually, in writing that I see my numbers have gone down by one. Bastard.

What are some things you can do rather than updating your Facebook status? What are some ideas to get your mind off 'lost friends' and get you back into the real world? Here is my list for today:

1. Read a book. What? I hear you say, what is a book? Well, reading a book on your kindle is OK too. It doesn't have to be one of those dusty, mildewy things you get at your local library. (By the way, for all of you Palmerston North readers, if you haven't been to the city library recently, please do. it is a great facility and some of the services they have are excellent. You can even borrow ebooks.) An idea that my friend had almost three years ago was to read for an hour everyday. I got on board with that and we will read some books everyday, summarise what we read and sent it to each other for comments. Although in saying that I haven't done that for a few days as I have been concentrating on this blog.

2. Go to the gym and do some exercise. I am overweight and am trying to lose weight. For me it is getting in a routine of exercise. I think like most of you exercise is always the daily activity that gets left behind. My problem is I go to the gym maybe three days in a row then feel tired and then won't go for another five days or so, when in fact i should just realise that my body is taking time to adjust to something new.

3. If you are a guy, go and talk to some women. You are just talking so no pressure and if they don't want to talk, put it down to them having a bad day, and they are missing out on your colourful personality.

4. Play a sport. In the past I have played, cricket, hockey, touch, golf, basketball and football. I have met a lot of people and it is great exercise. Also by playing these sports you can really tally up your Facebook friends by adding them. Because you know that they are going to do it.

5. Start writing a daily blog. I am only a couple of weeks into this blog but I am finding that it is making me think of things that I might not do on a daily basis. Admittedly I am doing it for myself and my own development but who knows where it could go from here.

6. Look up activities in your town. I know today that there is a cherry blossom festival going on that I should be at. I could be going to a football match this afternoon. I haven't watched football 'live and in the flesh' for a long time so it should be quite interesting. I could have gone to New Plymouth as well where the Manawatu rugby team are challenging for the Ranfurly Shield.

7. Pick up the phone and ring someone that you have talked to or seen for a long time. The important thing about this is that you actually pick up the phone and dial. Do not text them or email them. By phoning them you are more than likely to have a conversation whereas a text conversation could go on for quite a few days and you will have sore fingers, wrists and hands afterwards.

8. If you have made friends on Facebook but have never met them face to face then why don't you get out of your chair and go and see them? Hey, you are friends on Facebook why can't you be friends in 'real life'? If they say no then you will realise that both them and you are trying to drive up your numbers just to look cool. This is a classic sign of insecurity. Yes, guilty as charged.

9. Take a trip. Even if it is for just a couple of days over the weekend. You can get away from your computer and enjoy your 'freedom.' You could take a lot of photos and then post them on Facebook to get rid of that anxiety that you were away from you keyboard for 48 hours.

10. Delete your Facebook account.

There you have it. I'm not saying that you should shut down your Facebook account altogether although for some people number 10 may be an option. What I am saying is that you need a balance between the virtual world and the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment