Saturday 27 October 2012

Hooray!!! It's the weekend!!!

It is interesting how some people will name the days of the week not by their proper names, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc. but by how many days to the weekend. For example, " only three days to the weekend."

Today is Saturday and after an interesting week of work I am enjoying a day off from work. It is so good that I have tomorrow off from work too. Lucky me!

I find that if I am busy I look to do other things as well, so after two 3am finishes in a row, I woke up at 6.30am to get in a car to travel to Paraparaumu and attend my first Toastmasters conference. As I write this my eyes are feeling a little heavy and I'm not sure how I'm going to get through the next part of the day but I should get into a state where I have an open mind and try and learn something.

This is an unusual weekend day for me so I thought that today I would discuss ten things that you can do that will make your weekend enjoyable, maybe even memorable. Lets go:

1. Improve yourself. As I said today I am at a Toastmasters conference. This is all part of my self improvement and a chance to meet lots of other people. Ordinarily I wouldn't do this and my first instinct would be to say no but I believe you have to to try these things before you say no, unless it involves a parachute or a bungee cord.

2. It is always nice to get away for a couple of days. Go away with someone special and just spend the time together. I like going to a lake or beach area. There are usually other people there but they are also away for the weekend so everyone is relaxed and it is a great chance to unwind.

3. Join a sports club. In Japan I played Touch on Saturday afternoons. These were largely pick up games and we had a big mailing list, so we would turn up at the ground and play and then sometimes afterwards we would have a beer or three. A great way to unwind and have some exercise. Of course Touch is just an example, I used to play cricket or hockey. My father plays golf. The possibilities are endless.

4. Call a friend you haven't seen for a long time and go and see them. Chances are they will be very pleased to hear from you and I can almost guarantee that they will say to you that they have been planning to contact you for quite some time but have never got around to it. Who knows, you may be able to reconnect and have another mate to add to your drinking buddies.

5. On the subject of drinking, is there nothing wrong about going out for a few? Maybe go to a couple of clubs and have a dance (although real men don't dance) and even brush up on your seduction technique. Sometimes people need blow off some steam and having a few pints is the perfect solution to that.

6. Test drive your dream car. My favourite car is a BMW so why don't you call up the local dealer and organize a test drive? You know that you have always wanted to get behind the wheel of that car so go do it. Of course the biggest problem is convincing the salesperson that you can afford it.

7. In Japan I used to like going to a hot springs place or one of those big spa places. Some of the big public bath houses are fantastic and you can easily spend all day in them and I did. Not sure what places near my current home that I can do that but it would fun trying to find one.

8. Why not go and see a show that you may not go and see normally. I'm suggesting something like the opera. I know I wouldn't go. Make a night of it. Put your finest clothes on, go to a fantastic restaurant and enjoy the opera. Even if you don't like opera I'm sure that you will remember the event and maybe repeat in the near future.

9. Go to the supermarket and/or the local market and buy your ingredients, take them home and cook like you have never cooked before. This is your time to be creative, try that thing that you have always wanted to try and be a world famous chef for one night.

10. If you are living in a big city, why don't you pick an area that you don't know very well and go explore it. I know I did that a few times in Tokyo and it is amazing the types of places, shops and restaurants that you can find.
Happy Weekend Everybody. Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment