Wednesday 10 October 2012

I am fat!!!

I had a bit of a long day at work yesterday which meant that I didn't get home until about 1.30am and then was back there at 9am, so I am a little bit jaded while writing this. Fortunately I have the day off tomorrow so I will be able to recharge my batteries and write an awesome blog post.

Anyway, lets get to the point. Last night at my place of work, we hosted Massey University's blues awards event. Outstanding sportsman who are studying at Massey receive an award for their achievements. It got me thinking as I served some highly tuned athletes. I also got a photo taken with Valerie Adams, a double Olympic shot putting champion who is about 6 foot 100. (That isn't a typo.)

Back to the topic, I am fat!!! I have been overweight for a long time but last night was the first time that I decided that I was fat. It's not good. I have to do something about it, so today I would like to talk about 10 things I can do in the next 24 to 48 hours to start doing something about my health. Obviously these have to be practical and they have to be, and this word is crucial, and it is also what my friend says a lot sustainable.

Here goes:

1. I have to admit that I have a problem and that I need to do something about. (Well, ladies and gentlemen, done that.)

2. Make a list of reasons why I want to lose weight.

3. Go for a short walk. (I'm not a great walker or runner but this is a good way to get out and about. I have noticed that I have not been breathing the best recently. I hope that it has got something to do with the hay fever that I have at the moment.)

4. Drink 2 litres of water. They say that this is very important in fat loss. I already drink quite a bit of water over the course of day but it tends to come in one or two sessions rather than a small bit every couple of hours which is what I should really be doing.

5. My friend suggests writing a food diary which I have done in the past. I think he would give a different justification for this but it does get a little embarrassing if you start writing: mince pie, coke, potato chips, Big Mac, one grape and a big serving of chocolate pudding. That's just not cool.

6. Go to the gym. I do really enjoy it there, when I get there. That is the most difficult part of it, getting there, when you get there it is fun. It is funny how stuff you put off all day like writing a blog post suddenly need to be done instead of going to the gym.

7. Eat two pieces of fruit. They say you should have five servings of fruit and vegetables a day. I tend to go for the biscuit (that is cookie for my North American readers) rather than an orange or an apple.

8. The last time I lost a great deal of weight I created a menu for the week. Did my shopping for the week on one day and stuck with it. I don't want to be that strict but it did help me with my shopping in the past having a menu and then during the week you didn't buy anything else so you were able to stretch your money. (I do have a soft spot for cashew nuts and crunchy peanut butter. Maybe I can treat myself from time to time.)

9. Take an ice bath. This sounds like hell and I assure you it is not too bad. This idea is from Tim Ferriss' book, The four hour body. One guy he talked to did these ice baths and his fat loss went down dramatically. I have tried a couple of times and I found if you had something to do then it isn't too bad. (I watched The Big Bang Theory on my iPad.)

10. Sit down and plan it. This is something that I am terrible at. No planning. I think if you sit down and think about it and plan then you can get stuff done.

There you have it 10 things to do in the next 24 to 48 hours. I'll be back within that time to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment