Thursday 11 October 2012

Training in PN

I learnt a new expression today, "The Loser Cruiser." WTF does that mean? So I read this article and it explained that "the loser cruiser" is public transport. Apparently in this country, especially in Auckland, public transportation does not the coolest thing going around and everyone hates it. I personally don't see anything wrong with it but I suppose my view is blurred from living for 15 years in Japan. I sometimes use the bus in Palmerston North when it is raining or when I can't be bothered biking in the "slight winds" we have in this part of the country. Does that make me a loser? Probably some people who drive around at $2.13 a litre think so. Who cares at the end of the day as I get to where I want to go and I don't have to pay for petrol, car parking charges, Warrant of Fitness, registration, insurance and maintenance charges.

What is my point today, I hear you ask. Well today I would like to discuss something that was asked of me a few months back at a Toastmasters meeting, that was does Palmerston North need a light rail system out to Massey University?

Today I would like to give 10 reasons why it is a good idea.

1. There aren't exactly traffic jams in Palmerston North but people will be able to get out to Massey or back into the city centre quite quickly. They won't be stuck in the vehicles trying to get down Te Awe Awe or other streets.

2. It could revitalize the city centre. My friend said he went into "town" on Saturday night and he said that the area was dead. Why is this? Could it be the very strict drink driving rules? Then if people knew that they could drink more without worrying about driving more money would be spent. Then they could get home quickly and safely. obviously this depends on how often the tram runs at night and where it stops.

3. A lot of students who don't have the way to get into the city centre would come in more often without spending all their time and money on campus.

4. If the route from the city centre to Massey was successful then there would be the possibility of other routes which would be good for the city. Maybe following the current bus routes. Obviously if the light rail was built then we would no longer have buses. I know which one I prefer.

5. I think something like this would be safer than walking home at night although you are still going to have idiots using the thing trying to prove they are older than what they are.

6. Not sure about this one but would big industry bring their factories etc to Palmerston North if they knew that there was an efficient and cheap transport system to get their employees to work?

7. If you look at the cars going out to Massey in the morning they are usually only a single occupant. Why does that need to be like that? Environmentally a light rail network would be a hundred times better for Palmerston North. (I can hear all of the doubters screaming with derision from here. "I won't my car, I don't want to be a loser." So, owning a car makes you a non-loser?)

8. The tram could also be used to go to the train station. Obviously if the Capital Connection is discontinued then this probably wouldn't be a good idea but it would make it easier for people going to the train in the morning or coming back at night.

9. Entrepreneurs would be able to set up businesses along the route. Imagine having a little kiosk at certain stops along the route.

10. More people could go along to sporting events without worrying about how much they drink. Special trams could go to the different sporting centres in the city. Bigger crowds and bigger benefits for those sports would eventuate.




To the right is an artists impression of how the light rail would look like. To the left of the picture is Fitzherbert Park and in the background is the FMG building on the Square. This picture was taken from the Massey University website after a student had proposed this in a report.

No comments:

Post a Comment